Many of us know the benefits of mindfulness but we have such busy lives that it feels like we never have enough time. If that sounds familiar then this meditation is for you. Most people can manage to find the time to practice this one. It’s called the Breathing Space meditation and it can be as short as just 3 minutes!
3 Minute Breathing Space
Firstly, make a conscious change to your posture. Sit upright with your back straight but not stiff. Close your eyes if that feels ok.
Ask yourself what’s going on in your mind and body right now?
- What thoughts are present?
- What feelings are here?
- Become aware of any sensations in the body.
Don’t try to change anything. Just be aware of what is already here. Try not to judge anything, just bring your kind attention to whatever is here, right now.
- Now, become aware of your breathing. Narrow your attention to just the sensations of your breathing.
- See if you can feel your breath moving in your abdomen.
- Try and notice the full inhalation and the full exhalation.
If your mind wanders (as it naturally will), just gently bring it back to your breath. Coming in and going out.
- Finally, expand the focus of awareness now to take in your whole body. As if your whole body was breathing.
- Become aware of your posture, any sensations on surface of your skin and deeper in your body.
- Holding in awareness all the sensations in your body and breath just as they are.
Coming home to your body, coming home to this moment.
As best you can, bring this expanded awareness to the rest of your day.
Here’s my recorded version if you’d like to try it:
This meditation is great to practice in times of stress or just to check in with yourself, several times a day.