If you’ve ever had a sleepless night you realise just how important sleep is. It is often only when we don’t have things that we realise just how important they are. Sleep is like that. We take it for granted. Yet it is so valuable for our health and well-being.
You may lie awake at night, worrying about money, your job, your relationship, your family or your health. Or you could find yourself drifting off to sleep ok, only to wake up a few hours later and not be able to get back to sleep.
Firstly, I’d recommend trying the obvious things – avoid mental stimulation before going to bed i.e. no TV, computer etc. Avoid drinking coffee or any other stimulants at least a few hours before your bedtime. Ensure your bedroom is a dark enough and a comfortable temperature etc.
It can be useful to keep a notebook and pen beside your bed. Jot down any thoughts that are going through your mind. It can feel like the proverbial hamster in a wheel otherwise with the same thoughts going round and round your head all night.
You can also address your worries, stress, anxiety etc with EFT before you go to bed. Here are some examples you might want to try:
- Even though I lie awake in bed every night, worrying about my finances, I still deeply and completely accept myself
- Even though I toss and turn every night because I’m stressed at work, I have too many responsibilities and I just can’t cope, I’m still ok
- Even though I can’t sleep because I’m so worried that my marriage is failing and I just can’t talk to my husband/wife, I deeply and completely accept myself anyway
- Even though I lay awake each night worrying about my Mother’s health and I don’t know if she’ll make it through this year, I love and accept myself anyway
Whatever it is that you are worrying about be really specific. Tap a few rounds on what you do at night when you are not sleeping. Here’s an example:
- Even though I can’t sleep and I lie there tossing and turning all night long, I’m ok right now
- Even though I keep checking the clock to see how much sleep I’m missing out on, I still love and accept myself anyway
- Even though I lie there listening to every noise, wondering what it is, I accept my feelings about this anyway
Eyebrow: I can’t sleep at night
Side of eye: I lie there tossing and turning
Under eye: I keep checking the clock
Under nose: To see how much sleep I’ve missed
Chin: I think I’ll never get to sleep
Collarbone: My mind races at night
Under arm: It feels like I’m awake all night
Top of head: I feel so lonely lying here with no-one to talk to
Eyebrow: I hate not sleeping
Side of eye: I feel so tired
Under eye: I really want to go to sleep
Under nose: But I can’t stop worrying about ………………
Chin: I listen to all the noises
Collarbone: I wonder what they are
Under arm: I can’t get comfortable
Top of head: I keep getting up to go to the toilet
Eyebrow: Maybe I can write down how I feel
Side of eye: I could write down all my worrying thoughts
Under eye: I wonder if I’m worrying too much
Under nose: What if I could get a good nights sleep
Chin: Maybe I can stop worrying
Collarbone: What if I could just focus on my breathing
Under arm: Maybe I can get really comfortable
Top of head: What if I did some deep breathing and felt really relaxed
Remember to tune in to how you feel and be specific as possible.
I hope that the script and ideas help you get a good nights sleep!
07866 013 637