Feelings About Feelings
I was working with a client recently and the tapping didn’t seem to be working. We were tapping on various different emotions and the associated sensations in her body. We tapped several rounds focusing on the body sensations and the different emotions in turn. She was frustrated with herself for having these various emotions and not being able to get rid of them!
I suggested we take a step back and work on the frustration first. That did the trick…
By focusing on the feelings we have about the feelings (or the emotions about having the emotions) we had a break through!
Pain & Suffering
Often when we have pain we have a lot of feelings or emotions about that pain. That is suffering. Our pain feels worse because we have all these feelings or emotions about having the pain. We don’t need to suffer additionally when we have pain. We can tap on our feelings and emotions about having the pain.
So always make sure you tap on your feelings or emotions about having the other feelings or emotions.
Say you are angry at someone because they did something to upset you. You can start by tapping on your anger, but you may also be feeling frustrated or guilty about feeling angry. So tap on the feelings about the feelings as well. E.g.
- Even though I feel frustrated about feeling angry at Bob when he really upset me, I accept all these feelings
- Even though I feel guilty because Bob upset me and made me angry, I accept all of my feelings
- Even though I feel frustrated that I got so angry when Bob upset me, I acknowledge and accept myself anyway
Be observant and notice how your feelings about having your feelings change. Once you have cleared the feelings about the feelings, start tapping on the feelings. E.g.
- Even though Bob upset me and I got angry, I accept all my feelings
- Even though I feel angry because Bob upset me when he did X, I acknowledge and accept myself
- Even though I feel this angry knot of tension in my gut when I think about what Bob did…
Remember, to be as specific as possible for best results when tapping.
Keep tapping 🙂